Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Yes baby, I'm so proud of you!

Yesterday was a bit of a battle in our house. Will was home and had a bit of a cold and was being so whiney and needy. He literally was hanging off of my leg wherever I went and I couldn't get anything done. He hadn't pooped since Friday (it was Monday) so I kept getting out his little potty and telling him he had to go poop. He refused and said it would hurt. I told him he needed to go or it would hurt if he kept it in. I finally took his pull ups off and his pants so he was naked from the waist down. I knew if I left them on he would poop in them. He was crying like crazy, saying he wanted his pants back on. It was so frustrating, but I also knew the mood he was in that he would cry no matter what I did. So all morning was a battle. He finally went down for a nap and I started thinking about it and how it shouldn't have to be such a battle and I would start backing off of him in regards to pooping. Afterall, I figured, he wouldn't be pooping in his pants still in kindergarten, so don't get so worked up over it. He'll figure it out.

Well, he got up from his nap and things changed. He was doing the poop dance and kept holding his butt. I knew it was just a matter of time. But of course he still didn't want to go. I got his pants and pull up off and he was so upset. He just kept crying and kept saying he didn't want to go because it would hurt him. It was pretty heart breaking. I hated seeing him cry like that but I also knew the poop was on it's way. This went on for at least half an hour. Finally he really started dancing and I grabbed him and forced him on the potty. It started coming and he was still crying, but he got it all out. He jumped up with tears running down his face and kept asking me "mommy, are you proud of me?". Oh baby, you have no idea how proud I was! He was so proud of himself for being such a big boy. I have a feeling the battle is not over, but he did it. Let's just hope he does it again!

No comments: